Summary of “Rent Ready” Condition
The condition of the property, and more specifically the ability to move right in, is very important to excellent tenants. You can rent a property that’s not quite move-in ready (requires paint, flooring, cleaning, etc.), but we assure you it won’t be to an excellent tenant. Most applicants don’t have the ‘vision’ about ‘what’s going to done’ therefore it’s best to show the property in the condition it will be given to them.
Your target tenant plans to take care of your property and has high standards of cleanliness and maintenance. If you provide a move-in ready home, you are communicating that you share those same standards.
This is why it is Verandah Properties’ standard to always provide a move-in or “rent ready” property to potential residents. Please review the details below:
- The house should be at the level of cleanliness that you want it returned to you, therefore we require that the property is professionally cleaned and free of trash and debris, inside and outside.
- Carpets professionally cleaned and looking fresh unless the carpeting is brand new.
- Remove all personal items and trash from the house and garage.
- Ensure all appliances are thoroughly cleaned. Make sure all areas above, under and around the appliances and cleaned.
- Ensure all walls, doors and baseboards are wiped down which are painted with semi-gloss or washable paint. Clean areas around light switches, hallways, and doorways.
- Ensure all vinyl and tile floors are mopped and clean. Remove all stains and superficial marks.
- Ensure all ceiling fans and light fixtures are cleaned.
- Ensure all windows, windowsills and blinds are cleaned and secure all screens.
- Ensure to clean and disinfect the bathrooms.
- Ensure that the hard flooring is in a condition where there is minimal wear and tear.
- Wood flooring should have no excessive scratches; and tile should have clean grout lines.
- Ensure the garage floor is swept.
- Re-key must be completed between every tenant turn.
- Paint is fresh with neutral tones throughout with no mis-match touch-up areas.
- The kitchen and bathrooms have been redone within the past 5 to 7 years and/or have updated (not outdated) light and plumbing fixtures.
- Appliances match in color or are stainless steel.
- All fixtures and doors function as intended.
- Any noticeable damages or issues are repaired or replaced.
- HVAC system to be in good operating condition, with a new filter installed.
- Caulking in kitchen and bathrooms shall be clean and free of mildew.
- Doors and locks functioning properly.
- All windows must open, close and lock properly and window screens be in good condition.
- All windows must have vertical or horizontal blinds.
- The back sliding doors must have vertical blinds.
- All the light bulbs are working.
- Safety railings secured.
- Doors open & close smoothly and door stops installed on all doors.
- No personal property or items in the unit. This includes furniture, knickknacks, toiletries, shower curtains, kitchen or bathroom items, soap dispenser, pictures, etc.
- Carbon monoxide detectors installed within 15 feet of each bedroom. Only wall mounted, NO plug-in units.
- Current (non-expired) Smoke detectors on each floor and further placed in areas throughout the property that complies with current fire code.
- All mechanical components are working as designed. Includes HVAC, plumbing and electrical systems, kitchen appliances, laundry appliances, sump pumps, water softeners, irrigation systems, gas fireplaces, pool heaters, water filtration systems, etc.
- Ensure property appears in line with any HOA requirements.
- Ensure exterior paint and curb appeal in good condition.
- Mow, trim, edge and water the yard. Leave the irrigation on an automatic setting.
- Remove weeds from beds and add fresh mulch.
- Check for and repair trip hazards on walk ways.
- Remove all trash or personal items from yard, porch and patio.
- Power-wash if needed (In Florida, this will be every year or two)
- Repair or replace damaged or missing screens for all windows or porch / patio / pool enclosures.
- Ensure Pool is clean and blue.
- No lawn equipment including mowers, tools, etc.
- No exterior debris.
Please leave any manuals, extra keys (labeled), gate cards, pool keys, recreation cards and remotes of any kind (labeled) on the kitchen counter.
This list cannot cover each and every make-ready required item, but it does list some of the most important items to ensure your property attracts the most highly qualified tenant in your property’s price range. And YES we can assist you with all of these items if you’re either a brand new owner or an established owner. That is one of the reasons you’ve hired us!